Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Seasons End, Roses Die


Today is the day after Labor Day and kids all over the United States are heading back to school. It was rainy and cool this morning, in marked contrast to the humidity and heat we’ve had the past few days. It was almost as if the earth was providing a seasonally appropriate backdrop for the onset of fall. The weather put a little bit of a chill on my own mood as I headed out in the dark to catch my train. This summer seemed so incredibly brief and I had gotten so used to the long days and relaxed work schedule that I have already started to view the approaching autumn with some trepidation.

This is ludicrous, of course. I can no more influence the change of the seasons than I can the movement of the tides, so feeling melancholy about one changing into another is as pointless as it is ineffective. Still, the mind stretches out to its wants and desires and tries to gather the world onto itself. I watch it happen without getting attached to the feelings. Yesterday I blew the dust off the snow shovel and moved it to a more prominent location in the garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment